The South African National Energy Development Institute (SANEDI) is a Schedule 3A state owned entity that was established as a successor to the previously created South African National Energy Research Institute (SANERI) and the National Energy Efficiency Agency (NEEA). The main function of SANEDI is to direct, monitor and conduct applied energy research and development, demonstration and deployment as well to undertake specific measures to promote the uptake of Green Energy and Energy Efficiency in South Africa. Its current portfolios include the following programmes:
- Advanced Fossil Fuels – South African Centre for Carbon Capture and Storage (SACCCS)
- Clean Energy Solutions – Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnerships (REEEP) and the
- Renewable Energy Centre for Research and Development (RECORD)
- Energy Efficiency
- Green Transport Programme
- Smart Grids Energy Data and Knowledge Management – SASGI (An Association of industry partners (Eskom, NERSA, AMEU, Metros, DST, CSIR, etc)
- Working for Energy Programme
The South African Smart Grid Initiative (SASGI) is an initiative of South African National Energy Development Institute (SANEDI). This initiative was made-up of industry stakeholders within the Electricity Distribution Industry (EDI). Its main objectives amongst others, was to draw on industry expertise, developed a Smart Grid vision for the industry and create a platform for knowledge sharing. SASGi considers the Smart grid as an economically evolved, technology enabled, electricity system that is intelligent, interactive, flexible and efficient and will enable South Africa’s energy use to be sustainable for future generations. SASGI developed the Smart Grid vision for South Africa, and is presently working with industry to provide policy inputs, address the gaps in standards and in the deployment and application of technology.
Based on the research work done by SANEDI, it is envisaged that the introduction of Smart Grids in South Africa can serve as an enabler in addressing some of the challenges faced in the electricity supply industry.